Jobs at Figure 53
Freelance QLab Support Specialist
Figure 53, a Baltimore-based software company, is hiring a remote freelance (1099) QLab Support Specialist.
We are looking for a candidate with high-level technical expertise in QLab and excellent written communication skills who will help our team provide clear, generous, and friendly support to our customers.
Our flagship product, QLab, is used to control audio, video, and lighting for live performance. (But you, our future teammate, already know that!) All customer support for our products is conducted via email. We are looking for an additional team member to help answer any QLab questions our customers send us.
This contract position has flexible hours - we send out requests for availability a week in advance, and contractors can sign up for shifts between 9am EST and 5pm PST. Our needs vary seasonally (usually fall is our busiest season) and weekly. We ask that you be available for two 20-hour weeks of paid training at the beginning of your time with us.
Much of our success stems from taking care of our customers with exceptional support and responsiveness. We try to keep the principles of patience, gratitude, respect, and expertise driving our interactions with customers. Our support team is devoted to problem-solving in a kind and generous spirit. We provide deep technical knowledge, and also bring a curiosity, dedication, and genuine compassion for customers to our work.
Figure 53 is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from all applicants, including those who are people of color, female, LGBTQ, living with disabilities, or a member of a group that is traditionally excluded from work in the tech sector.
The successful applicant will have all of the following skills:
- Superb writing skills
- Flexible schedule
- Empathy and an ability to convey a friendly and supportive tone via email and chat
- Patience and a pleasant demeanor, with customers and with teammates.
- A willingness to learn, adaptability, attention to detail, and problem solving skills.
- Extensive first-hand familiarity with the process of producing theater — you understand the environment our customers work in and the strains and stresses of that environment. You understand terms like standby, upstage, spike, and strike. You’ve experienced a number of 10 out of 12s. You have (at least) run sound, lights, or video for a show at some point.
- Experience with QLab at an expert level. (At least a year or two of actual hands-on experience with QLab.)
- Basic macOS administration skills, including basic computer network configuration.
Bonus Point Skills
While no one person will be an expert in all of these things, any of the following skills would impress us:
- Professional (or high-level) experience as a technician, designer, director, or actor.
- You’ve done technical work for theater in multiple departments.
- High-level customer service experience.
- You’ve used MIDI or OSC to control a show.
- You’ve dabbled in AppleScript, or written AppleScripts to control QLab.
If your background is in audio, familiarity with any of the following:
- Meyer or d&b speakers
- DiGiCo or Yamaha consoles
- RME audio interfaces
- MOTU audio interfaces
If your background is in video, familiarity with any of the following:
- a solid grasp on the concepts of resolution and frame rate
- familiarity with the uses of and differences between VGA, DVI, HDMI, and SDI
- projectors made by either Panasonic, Barco, or Christie
- knowledge of what baluns are and how to use them
- Matrox/Datapath multi-heads
- Blackmagic capture devices
If your background is in lighting, familiarity with any of the following:
- understanding the basic premises of lighting design
- ETC Express or EOS-family consoles
- the ability to hang and focus a light
- the ability to read a lighting plot
- a working knowledge of Art-Net
The position is open immediately and will remain so until filled.
How to Apply
Please email email@example.com to apply. Attach PDFs of your resume and a cover letter that demonstrates your excellent writing skills, your relevant experience, and interest in the job. If you have any example QLab workspaces you’ve created we’d love to see those too.