Figure 53 is having a contest!
We make tools for artists, and we’re passionate about live performance. We also care about education and artists in training. We want to support artists and we want to see what amazing things you can make with our tools. If you are a high school or college student, teacher, or staff member we’d like to sponsor your show!
What do you get if you win?
We will select two winners — one high school production and one college production. If you win, you'll get:
- Free Tixato fees for your event (excluding credit card processing fees)
- A free QLab 3 Pro Bundle License
- A free Go Button License
- A cash prize to be used towards production expenses. That can mean supplies for sets, costumes, lighting, sound, or video equipment. It can mean paying the artists involved or renting a space. For high school productions the cash prize is $2,000, for college productions the cash prize is $3,000.
What are your responsibilities if you win?
- Put on your show in 2015. The show must involve live performance. If you have a question about whether your idea qualifies, please email us.
- You’ll need to record the performance (either with video or photos) and write a short description of the show and your experience of putting it on.
- You must use Tixato to ticket the show.
- You must comply with the Official Rules, displayed below.
How can I enter this exciting contest?
- Send us your best pitch by 11:59 PM on June 1, 2015. Mailed entries must be postmarked by June 1, 2015. The pitch can be an essay, a video, photos from your previous shows, a song, a script, some combination of these things, or some great idea that we haven’t thought about yet. All pitches must include a preliminary budget for how the budgeted funds will be distributed. Pitches will be judged on strength and unity of artistic concept, access to administrative and logistic capabilities and support to realize a full scale production, and innovativeness. We will select two winners, one high school level and one college level.
- Pitches should be submitted to Lola Pierson at Figure 53. You can submit digitally by emailing materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or via physical mail by sending them to
2443 Maryland Ave
Baltimore, MD 21218
- You must be affiliated with a US high school or college in an official capacity. You can be a full- or part-time student, faculty member, or employee. You cannot be a professional producer or show manager, and you cannot be affiliated with Figure 53, or any reseller or affiliate of Figure 53.
- The work being supported must be student-centric (written by, directed by, or starring students)
- All determinations of eligibility both of the submitter and of the subject matter are in the sole discretion of Figure 53 and must be in compliance with the Official Rules.
- Please include a way to contact you with your pitch.
Any questions about eligibility, guidelines, prizes, or other aspects of the contest can be directed to Lola Pierson.
OFFICIAL RULES OUR LAWYERS WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT
1. Acceptance of rules: Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules.
2. Name of Contest: The Figure 53 Software Package Contest.
3. Promotion Period: All entries must be: (a) created during 2015; and (b) submitted in the form and using the method permitted by Figure 53, on or before February 1, 2016 (the “Promotion Period”).
4. Prize Description
* Free Tixato fees for your event (excluding credit card processing fees)
* A free QLab 3 Pro Bundle License
* A free Go Button License
* A cash prize to be used towards production expenses. That can mean supplies for sets, costumes, lighting, sound, or video equipment. It can mean paying the artists involved or renting a space. For high school productions the cash prize is $2,000, for college productions the cash prize is $3,000. Approximate retail value of each prize set: $3000 for high school, $4000 for college, all of which amount is taxable.
5. Sponsor: Figure 53, LLC, 2443 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, MD 21218.
6. Who may participate: The Contest is open to legal residents of the United States only either aged 18 years or older at time of entry, or if under the age of 18, the entry must be accompanied with a parental/guardian release and consent which will be provided by Figure 53 (each such person so submitting an entry is an “Entrant”). Residents of states where this contest would be or are taxed, regulated, prohibited or restricted are not eligible to participate and this Contest is void in those states. Employees of the Sponsor, its affiliates and subsidiaries, their agents and members of the immediate family or household of each of the above are not eligible to participate. All determinations of eligibility are in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
7. How to Enter; Submissions; determinations.
i) Each Entrant will submit an essay, a video, photos from your previous shows, a song, a script, some combination of these things that pitches us on your show/story (a “Submission”). All Submissions must include a preliminary budget for how the budgeted funds will be distributed. Submissions will be judged by Sponsor’s staff on strength and unity of artistic concept, access to administrative and logistic capabilities and support to realize a full scale production, and innovativeness.
ii) All submissions are the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
iii) All Entrants represent and warrant to Sponsor that all Submissions are their original work, comply with all applicable laws, and do not violate or infringe any intellectual property rights, contract rights, or personal rights of any person, including but not limited to any rights of privacy or publicity. All Entrants grant to Sponsor and its affiliates a world wide, royalty free, perpetual, irrevocable license and right to publicly display, publicly use, make derivative works from, distribute, make and have made, sell, and otherwise use the Submissions.
iv) All Entrants must accurately identify themselves and provide accurate contact information. Entrants may not submit anonymously, pseudonymously, or with an alias or other obfuscated identity.
v) Submissions should be submitted to Lola Pierson at Figure 53. You can submit digitally by emailing materials to email@example.com or via physical mail by sending them to:
2443 Maryland Ave
Baltimore, MD 21218
vi) All Entrants must be affiliated with a US high school or US college in an official capacity. Entrants can be a full or part time student, faculty member, or employee. Entrants cannot be a professional producer or show manager, and you cannot be affiliated with Figure53, or any reseller or affiliate of Figure 53.
vii) The work being supported must be student centric (written by, directed by, and/or starring students).
viii) Limit one entry only per person or group. Entrants may not submit multiple entries through different groups, aliases, entities etc. Sponsor is not responsible for errors in delivery, mechanical or electrical issues, or other delivery issues.
ix) Odds of Winning. By submitting for the contest you are not guaranteed to win. Winners will be selected based on the merit of their pitch idea submission. The odds of winning a prize in a particular category (i.e. high school or college) are equal to 1 divided by the number of qualified entries received by Sponsor in such category, and thus depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Promotion Period. All prizes will be awarded, regardless of the number of entries. Prizes are non-transferable and may not be returned or exchanged for cash, except that Sponsor reserves the right to award, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, a cash prize equivalent to the value of the prizes listed in Rule 4 or to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
x) General Conditions. Winners will be notified by email or phone and must respond to the notification within seven (7) calendar days, or the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected. If an entrant changes his/her e-mail address or other contact information after he/she enters the contest, it is his/her sole responsibility to notify Sponsor by e-mail or postal mailing to the Sponsor’s address listed below, to be received not later than the end of the Promotion Period. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an electronic entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the "Authorized Holder" in whose name the email account is registered, provided that person meets all eligibility criteria set forth in these Official Rules. "Authorized Holder" shall mean the natural person who is identified as such by the owner of the internet domain in the email address. Some public email providers (e.g. gmail, Hotmail, AOL etc) will not provide owner/holder information to third parties like Sponsor. If Sponsor is unable to determine who is the Authorized Holder of an email address in its sole discretion it may reject that submission and award the prize the a newly selected participant. All determinations of eligibility are in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
xi) All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prize are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. Winners are solely responsible for any other costs, incidentals, and expenses not specifically mentioned as being included in the prize.
xii) By participating and accepting a prize, except where prohibited by law, each winner hereby grants to Sponsor (and shall confirm that grant in writing or forfeit the prize) and those acting pursuant to the authority of Sponsor, the right to print, publish, broadcast, and use worldwide in any medium now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the World Wide Web, at any time(s), that winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, and biographical information as news or information and for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation to or review by the winner. By participating, each eligible winner agrees to provide proof of identity, address and birth date and/or execute an affidavit of eligibility, liability release or a publicity release, except where prohibited by law. This Contest is not open to competition associations, automated competition entry services and all non human submissions may be rejected by Sponsor. Any use of such automated devices will cause disqualification. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and his or her Contest entry) who tampers with the entry or voting process. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend this Contest should fraud, virus, bug or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions or other errors, failures or delays in computer transmissions or network connections. Proof of entering information on Sponsor’s website is not considered proof of delivery or receipt by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to exclude certain individuals from participating for reasons such as violation of the conditions of participation, duplicate participation, attempted manipulation of the Contest, and reserves the right to take legal action.
xiii) The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any third party, even if announced or otherwise available on such third party’s platform (e.g. Facebook, Twitter etc).
8. Limitations of Liability. All entrants agree to release Sponsor and its affiliates and their agents, employees, officers, owners, affiliates and contractors (the “Releasees”) from all liability for: (1) misdirected, inaccurate, incomplete, lost, late, delayed, undelivered, damaged or illegible entries; (2) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest promotion (other than by Sponsor); and (3) any event outside of the reasonable control of Sponsor. Winners and Entrants also agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Releasees from and against any claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in any part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize offered, or participation in this Contest promotion. Sponsor’s maximum liability hereunder for any claim is $100. Some states may limit Sponsor’s right to exclude damages.
9. Consent to arbitration. Each Entrant participating in the Contest hereby agrees and covenants to arbitrate any and all disputes between the parties before the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), before a single arbitrator to be selected by the AAA, with such arbitration to take place in Baltimore, Maryland.
10. For a copy of these Official Rules or to request the name of the prize winner(s) in writing, send your request to Figure 53, 2443 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, MD 21218.