Jobs at Figure 53
Senior QLab Support Specialist
Figure 53, a Baltimore-based software company, is hiring a part-time Senior QLab Support Specialist. We are looking for a candidate with both high-level technical expertise in QLab and the ability to provide clear, generous, and friendly support to our customers.
Our flagship product, QLab, is used to control audio, video, and lighting for live performance. (But you, our future teammate, already know that!) All customer support for our products is conducted via email. We are looking for an additional team member to help answer any QLab questions our customers send us.
This position requires 20-25 hours of work a week, and includes benefits such as paid vacation and health insurance. Remote work is possible, but applicants must live in Maryland, New York, or California. Proximity to Baltimore is strongly preferred, but not strictly required. The position will last a minimum of 6 months but may be extended.
Much of our success stems from taking care of our customers with exceptional support and responsiveness. We try to keep the principles of patience, gratitude, respect, and expertise driving our interactions with customers. Our support team is devoted to problem-solving in a kind and generous spirit. We provide deep technical knowledge, and also bring a curiosity, dedication, and genuine compassion for customers to our work.
The successful applicant will have all of the following skills:
- Superb writing skills.
- Empathy and an ability to convey a friendly and supportive tone via email.
- Patience and a pleasant demeanor, with customers and with teammates.
- A willingness to learn, adaptability, attention to detail, and problem solving skills.
- First-hand familiarity with the process of producing theater — you understand the environment our customers work in and the strains and stresses of that environment. You understand terms like standby, upstage, spike, and strike. You’ve experienced a 10 out of 12. You have (at least) run sound, lights, or video for a show at some point.
- Experience with QLab at a moderate or expert level. (At least a year or two of actual hands-on experience with QLab.) If you are not already an expert at using QLab, you should be excited at the prospect of becoming one.
- Basic macOS administration skills, including basic computer network configuration.
Bonus Point Skills
While no one person will be an expert in all of these things, any of the following skills would impress us:
- Professional (or high-level) experience as a technician, designer, director, or actor.
- You’ve done technical work for theater in multiple departments.
- You’ve used MIDI or OSC to control a show.
- You’ve dabbled in AppleScript, or written AppleScripts to control QLab.
- If your background is in audio, familiarity with any of the following:
- Meyer or d&b speakers
- DiGiCo or Yamaha consoles
- RME audio interfaces
- MOTU audio interfaces
- If your background is in video, familiarity with any of the following:
- a solid grasp on the concepts of resolution and frame rate
- familiarity with the uses of and differences between VGA, DVI, HDMI, and SDI
- projectors made by either Panasonic, Barco, or Christie
- knowledge of what baluns are and how to use them
- Matrox/Datapath multi-heads
- Blackmagic capture devices
- If your background is in lighting, familiarity with any of the following:
- understanding the basic premises of lighting design
- ETC Express or EOS-family consoles
- the ability to hang and focus a light
- the ability to read a lighting plot
- a working knowledge of Art-Net
Figure 53 is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from all applicants, including those who are people of color, female, LGBTQ, living with disabilities, or a member of a group that is traditionally excluded from work in the tech sector.
- Competitive salary plus profit sharing
- Excellent health insurance, and we pay the premiums
- 25 days of paid vacation every year
- See our Company Handbook for more details
- Part-time: 20-25 hours a week, on average (although there may be seasonal variation in hours)
- 6 month duration with a possibility to extend
- To qualify as a salaried employee you must be a resident of Maryland, New York, or California
If you are only able to consider working as a 1099 (not W2) employee, consider getting in touch anyway — we might be able to adjust the position for the right person.
Position is open immediately and will remain so until filled. We are looking for the right person for the team, so we are not in a rush.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach PDFs of your resume and a cover letter that demonstrates your relevant experience and interest in the job. If you have any example QLab workspaces you’ve created we’d love to see those too.